Thursday 8 August 2013

Rocks and Mystical Orb Charcoal and Paint picture

This time I have done a picture of some rocks and an orb and have used charcoal and paints to do it in.
I thought it was about time I did another picture as my last few posts have been about creating my logo.

Using some rocks and a blue orb I have done a charcoal and paint picture. I had the idea to do this picture right near the beginning when I started making this blog when I was trying to find something other to draw than fruit for a still life image. I saw these rocks on my desk and the orb and thought of doing an interesting arrangement with them. At the time though I didn't think that I would be able to do enough justice to what I think is a very cool looking piece.

A few years go an exercise I did involved using charcoal to draw the main picture and white paint for highlighting etc.

Adapting this method I have used the same idea but this time have added blue for the orb, if you wanted to you could use others colours like red or green to make an item stand out in a picture.

Here's a photo of my assembly of rocks and orb:

You'll have to ignore the flash reflection that makes the orb look super cool because it wasn't there when I was drawing it. If you do a drawing of this then by all means include it as it looks brilliant however, it is not in my picture below because it is only there due to the flash of the camera, if it was there it would have given me some superb contrast and brilliant blue colour incorporate into the image. 


As mentioned this is a charcoal and paint picture. I used charcoal for the rocks and for some of the orb then used some white paint to highlight the white reflections on the rocks and I used blue paint for the orb.

The contrast really makes the orb stand out in the picture and although it becomes the main focus it doesn't take anything away from the charcoal drawings.

Feel free to use the photo to do your own drawing of this rock and orb picture, have a go at using the same method I have here; a combination of paints and charcoal and using one colour to isolate a part of the image. 

2 comments:

  1. what kind of rocks are those? especially the dark one with the white stripes through it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I do not know what type of rock it is, it is one many that I have found over the years and liked enough to keep

      Delete